What is the Certificate of Nuclear Professionalism?
The certificate is a higher educational programme designed to equip individuals with the necessary skills required for today’s professional working within the nuclear industry. It has been developed by the National Skills Academy for Nuclear (NSAN) and The Open University, with involvement from industry and higher education ensuring that it meets the needs of the nuclear sector.
It has been designed in partnership with Nuclear Employers and the Open University to ensure that the content and structure of the framework that supports the Certificate is specified by them and delivered by a mix of employer and Higher Education partners.
The Certificate incorporates 7 training modules (outlined in the menu to the left) delivered through employer accredited training/learning, distance learning and traditional taught lessons. It draws on the outcomes of employer workshops that were hosted by NSAN and facilitated by Cranfield University. These clearly identified the employer needs and requirements for higher level skills development in the sector.
Who will it be suitable for?
- All Employer Members of the National Skills Academy for Nuclear.
- New graduate entrants to the Nuclear Sector both from full and Foundation Degree level.
- Existing members of the nuclear workforce wanting to develop their career.
- Individuals wishing to enter the Nuclear Sector.
- All people who want to develop the appropriate behaviours for working in the nuclear industry.
What will the key elements be?
- A flexible learning framework.
- Development of nuclear professionals through learning of enhanced behavioural, commercial, project management and science, technical and engineering skills.
- Delivery of specific modules by the appropriate partners.
- Accreditation of workplace learning.
- Incorporation onto the NS4P.
- Professional recognition through the Nuclear Institute leading to professional membership
- Supports employers to develop a skilled, safe, competent and professional workforce.
- Provides portability of employment as a result of national standards and recognition.
- Ensures employers and employees remain competitive in a changing labour market.
- Will enable individuals to gain new qualifications, rewarding and accrediting the time spent on skills development.
- Supports progression to chartered status and national recognition by the Nuclear Institute.
- Gives an individual the ability to demonstrate the right skills to be a nuclear professional.
- Raises the profile of the UK nuclear industry.
Employer/Higher Education partner involvement:
- Dedicated multi disciplined steering group developing a pilot programme.
- Active employer involvement in developing the full roll out of the Certificate programme following a successful pilot exercise.
- Agreement of standards that will apply to the Certificate.
- Evaluation and monitoring of progress.
- Forms part of the broader Cogent HE strategy enabling learning across the Cogent footprint.